Yesterday, I bought a rotisserie chicken while grocery shopping and decided to dedicate the next few days to sharing recipes with my friends on dishes you can make quick and easy with the tried and true $5 bird from Walmart.
Quick Tip: Shred your rotisserie chicken as soon as you get home from grocery shopping while it’s still warm. It’s much easier to just get it over with than to shred it per recipe while its cold and gooey. I refrigerate half, and freeze the other half.
I experimented a little and ended up with what I’m now calling Parmesan chicken sandwiches. Disclaimer: I’m not Italian, and this is not an authentic Italian dish. I am merely a Southerner who knows how to make to-die-for comfort food.
Y’all, this was SO good–and took less than 10 minutes to prepare. I almost had it again today until I remembered I promised my friends a variety of recipes.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Shredded mozzarella
- Shredded Parmesan
- 4 French bread slices ($1 kind from Walmart)
- Marinara sauce (Prego Farmer’s Market Classic Marinara)
- Olive oil
Edit (6/17/19): I made this again for dinner tonight–I couldn’t stay away! This time instead of parsley and olive oil on the bread slices, I used Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and olive oil. This small change turned it from a 10/10 to an 11/10!
- Heat oven to 375 and line a sheet pan with foil. Poured olive oil on the foil, spread it around with spatula or spoon, and press both sides of all 4 slices of bread on it. Sprinkle mozzarella and parsley (alternative ingredient: Italian seasoning and garlic salt) on only the tops of the bread slices. Bake for about 3 minutes.
- While the bread slices are baking, heat up marinara sauce in a pan with shredded rotisserie chicken on medium-low. Add enough marinara sauce as you feel comfortable with (I used a LOT).
- After the mozzarella on the bread gets a little melty, take pan out of oven. Place the now warm combination of marinara sauce + shredded chicken on 2 of the bread slices. Sprinkle Parmesan on the side with chicken and top with basil.
- Stick pan back into the oven for about 4-5 more minutes.